Monday, March 19, 2007

Why can't I say this this simply? Cause I suck.

"Interesting point - in the article, a therapist tells Ms. Moser [just learned that she has a predisposition to Huntington's Disease] that it would be unethical for her to have kids. This makes her very upset, understandably. But is he/she right? If you know that any children of yours are likely to have a short life and a protracted, horrible death, is it wrong to reproduce?

I tend to think it is, but that's me."

"My take on it: What gives you the right to KNOWINGLY inflict a high probability of unusual suffering and early death on your children? How is having a child in that situation NOT unfair to your kid?? It's like saying to your kid, "We knew in advance that your life would probably suck big-time, but we did it anyway." Producing a child under such circumstances isn't love, it's just selfishness."

I'd take it a bit further. Bad eyesight is not something that's enjoyable.

No comments: