Tuesday, July 03, 2007

I don't think that word means what you think it means

Or free-as-in-beer.

As a recent /. recently mentioned, the USA has gone completely insane. But still probably not as crazy as this guy.

20 good films were watched. What surprises me the most was that I felt that none of those films were a waste of time. Further evidence that Oliver is supremely skilled at the selection process. Eww. I feel dirty.

I am completely convinced that it was one of the best investments i'll ever make. I'd do it again in a heartbeat...after my body's recovered a bit.

I finished reading the Odyssey. There's apparently an audio book (it would be some kind of poem...epic, perhaps?) using the Fagles translation that is narrated by Ian McKellen. Gandalf people! It's Gandalf. Or Magneto. Depends on your POV really. Guy's freaking awesome either way. King Lear too! And nekkid. On my way to obtain.

Translation is fun. It's one of those activities where someone skilled at it can truly be called a craftsman; as much art as science. Wonderful. Such a great way to pass time: it's one of the best puzzles invented. Changing things from one code to another one, according to some incredibly arcane rules.

Which leads me to another point: words aren't things. They are representations of things. They can be studied as things unto themselves; but it doesn't make them the things themselves. The word tree is not the same as a tree.

And unfortunately, I can only say that using words.

"One of them sounds really gay. I can't remember who it was, but I'm sure he has an animal in name. Andrew Bird or Patrick Wolf or something."

Dave is hilarious.

No comments: