Monday, May 04, 2009

A thing that is starting to bother me

First of many?

So, something i've been noticing recently is this habitual bias people tend to have against non-institutionalised activity. It seems to be that if you haven't participated in some particular institutionalised method of activity, your activities (even if they're the exact same activities, without institutional recognition) are somehow illegitimate, or non-worthwhile.

This bothers me, and it should bother you too, for very obvious reasons.

Related: My/your experience means squat. Seriously. It should be called the fallacy of (personal) experience or something similar, and more and more people should learn it. I'm sure i've talked about it at length with many of you.

My lulz for the day: My bugmenot login for the NYT is spectordefector.

Nice.

No comments: