Sunday, March 01, 2009

We're talking about

writing

I'm interested to know how people write. By that I don't mean the writing itself, not syntax, prose or locution but rather the actual physical mode they write in.

Are you lying down? (perhaps you should sit, that might help) Or sitting upright? (trying lying down and relaxing) Or standing even? (too much strain) What's around you? Lots of clutter? (organise them and they'll organise you) Completely minimalist? (try adding some junk, it'll give you something to think about) Books for inspiration? (maybe you should move them, they can be very distracting) Or only the ticking of a clock or the whirring of a fan? (read a book, you're not getting anything done anyway)

Do you have a cup of coffee? (maybe you should cut down. It's making you anxious) Or are you a tea person? (ditto) Perhaps nothing at all, save some water? (have you tried coffee or tea? It helps you focus) Cigarettes? (if yes, maybe you should quit, it's making you scattered. If not, have you considered picking it up? A lot of writers smoke)

What time is it? Are you writing in the morning? (too early, go back to sleep) The afternoon? (it's too hot) In the evening or the night? (you're too tired from the day. Perhaps you should do this in the morning) Are there windows near where you write? (take a break and look outside. Move away from them, they're going to sidetrack you) Are you indoors (so sterile, go outside into the fresh air) or outdoors? (weather's unpredictable, have you tried going inside?) Is the door open (that's just an invite for people to bother you) or closed? (the room's going to get stuffy, open the door)

What are you writing on? (isn't there something more important that you need to do?) Are you handwriting? (so tiring and slow, try modernizing) Using a typewriter? (noisy clacking, try the soft scribbles and scratches of handwriting) Or a computer keyboard is the thing for you? (that screen glare is so harsh, typewriters and handwriting is so much more romantic)

In the interests of full disclosure: I am currently sitting down on my bed, with my legs over the side and touching the floor, and there are cables and wires and god knows what junk around me. There's a fan whirring, my door is open, and I can hear some background noise from whatever television or computer or audiovisual appliance is operating. It is night, and the windows are blinded. And obviously, I'm writing on my laptop, which is sitting on my lap.

1 comment:

Wojit said...

Boom!

(I mean, I replied at my blog.)