Thursday, May 01, 2008

The infinite cruelties of old age

this isn't over yet

Article the first: A few things:

You walk wrong. If you're still obstinate about this, atleast admire the pretty trompe l'oeil pictures. There's some nice shoes in there as well, of atleast one I want a pair of (The 3mm sole ones, if you must know). One page version, if you don't want to give NYmag the money (I know I want to.)

Article the Second:
I wrote what I believe is one of the greatest sentences I have ever done, or perhaps, ever will do.

On not providing a sketch of even a basic taxonomy of political protest (or even just civil disobedience):

"I prefer not to think of this as philosophical cowardice or intellectual laziness, but rather due to the incredible range and critical complexities engendered in political intercourse."

And I threw it away in a footnote. I am so fucked for honours.

Article the Third:
Grrr. Winter's coming back. Wasn't part of the deal. Also, depressingly useful to know that chronic depression makes you smarter (Answer: No.) Or does being smart make you chronically depressed? (Answer: No.) Either way, I'd prefer one of those two things.

Article the Fourth:
I realised I cannot die.


Article the Fifth:
We, the Highest Authority of the Land, hereby fully and completely, do solemnly revoke the fourth article, with Prejudice.

Article the Sixth:
I've realised I cannot die until I've learnt enough french to read In Search Of Lost Time (À la recherche du temps perdu, in the original french) atleast once. At the least, frustrated with trying to learn enough french to give up and just read the damn thing in english.

Addendum to Article the Sixth:
If anybody gives me shit about certain proper nouns not being capitalised, this is your fault. I know, and it was deliberate.

2 comments:

Wojit said...

I was once told by a librarian at Fisher that I wasn't allowed to watch movies in the AV section unless I was wearing shoes. Luckily, I had a pair in my bag. Surprisingly, though, that was pretty much the only bit of overt put-on-some-shoes,-you! type discrimation that I got through about 2 years of mostly walking barefoot.

Unfortunately, I have pretty much ceased walking around Sydney barefoot since my route to uni began to involve an excessively gravelly path, which is fairly torturous to walk on. So, you see, it's the system. The paving system.

(Actually, yeah, the new small-tiles floor around Fisher isn't too comfortable when shoeless either.)

miaow said...

i like the word "shod". "unshod", incidentally, also works for me.