Wednesday, October 15, 2008

It may just be me

I don't want it to ever change

SO, while I sit here, still with an uncompleted essay on hand, due in a few hours, I get distracted. So I decided to download Big Rigs. I'm not actually sure what particular course of events/hyperlinks lead me to that particular wiki page, but it's by far one of the most entertaining and funny wiki pages ever written. Though this could be crazy fucked up sleep talking, the entire game itself seems completely surreal. To quote the first paragraph of the wiki:

The box of Big Rigs states that the player may "race trucks across the country, with cops chasing [them]." GameSpot's Alex Navarro wrote that this description of the game is nothing more than "horrible, horrible lies", since there are no police in the game. Additionally, they pointed out, the computer-controlled opponent vehicles have no AI and never move from the starting position, making even the description of the gameplay as a "race" questionable.

I mean, who actually goes to the trouble of coding all that, and releasing and distribution? Is it even a game as such? I mean, a game involves challenges and obstacles and some process of achievement, and it's arguable that this game achieves even the bare minimum of that. It seems more like some self-reflexive, postmodern exercise in minimalism/lying. The Gamefaqs review page and board on the game is also highly amusing as well.

After a little research, i've learnt that the game that was in fact shipped out was a pre-alpha release, so it's understandable that it lacks, you know, features. But still. You're Winner indeed.

3 comments:

Wojit said...

On the subject of games, I just played the game at http://games.wjh.harvard.edu/

Which I call "Playing Games With Utter Jerks."

Also, apparently I'm continuing the grand tradition of making barely relevant comments on your blog.

Pastichna, aka Kristina said...

Ummm wha? Why does this game exist?

Anonymous said...

I watched a video review of that game and found it incredibly hilarious. It's so astonishingly bad!