Saturday, October 11, 2008

You talk too much

is that even possible?

While being generally frustrated by various (technological-related) imbroglios' (getting my damn wireless working, annoyed by the lack of unified feeds for both the New Yorker and NY Mag, and being unable to decide to whether I should just subscribe to all the feeds they have; but that seems like a grave and grievous decision, with much rash consequences), I came across this interesting article in the New Yorker. While the article itself is of some interest and import, it's raised an issue that i've thought about before, an issue that's always vexed and perplexed me.

This issue is the issue of the working poor. The first time I heard this phrase, I was confused. I thought to myself, 'How can that be? How can you work and yet be poor?' And yet, here we are. Stories of people working 60 hour weeks in Walmart, and yet have to live in a car; people who work two, three jobs, twelve, fifteen hour days, six, seven days a week just to make ends meet (whatever that means; I think that nebulous and loaded phrase further illustrates the difficulty of talking about this). It doesn't make sense: isn't the precise point of work to reduce your poverty? I admit, it's possible, and most likely probable, that some of these stories have been exaggerated, for political or social posturing. It's also possible that some of these people brought it on to themselves, being lured into a mirage of luxury through usurious financiers and a lack of self-control. (I'll do my best to tread lightly; I'm trying not to be callous, even if it seems like I am).

But is it true? Is it true that there are people who suffer such hardships, even in the pursuit of modest goals? It saddens and distresses me that the economic and social fabric of human society can be stitched together in such a manner as to allow something like this.

I don't really know. It doesn't seem right, however. We didn't become civilised for this, not to become slaves to new masters. The project of civilisation has always struck me as something that strives towards the abolition of subsistence; and yet, here we are. What to do, what to do...

No comments: