Monday, February 07, 2005

Never kill a boy on the first date

Sagely advice indeed.

I am staying up because I slept in and have a long weekend in front of me. Hurrah for me.

Just finished watching Outfoxed, and it turned out to be pretty much what I expected. That's really quite depressing, because I like to be proven wrong on certain points in the world. It's a typically bland sort of documentary, being produced by Moveon.org and The Center For American Progress and all. It didn't really teach me anything new 'cept for the fact that Fox really can go lower than you think. It was a bit repetitive and boring at times, and overall unneccessary I think. If you don't know that Fox news is your voice for evil™ by now, you either live under a rock or don't have a tv. It didn't have the stunning direction or cleverly done propoganda of 9/11; it had more the TV informative documentary feel. Come to think of it, I don't even know why I wanted to watch it. But if anyone wants it, ask and ye shall recieve...on a CD.

Also, it's DVD quality.

Reading Zen again. I don't think I can convey just how much this book means to me. This and the Chomsky novel are about my two Gods, atleast in terms of analysis. Sure, they're both wrong at points, and obviously can't work around some things, but still...In terms of elucidation and expression, they're goddamn brilliant. Reading and just sorta feeling the intellectualness is overwhelming. Chomsky is good at the whole world analysis business; his answer to the problem is a bit vague and lacking, but it's mostly that you need to have a popular and importantly, global, grassroots resistance in order to evoke change. I agree a lot with that, as it seems to be the only feasible (allow me some license here) and lasting solution to the world as is. Pirsig is brilliant at the personal and psychological analysis, providing quite intimate details about the schisms that exist in the mind, and how this is manifested outward onto society; his book, despite having heavy contextual reference, is still relevant over 30 years from first publication. He employs some fairly nifty literary tricks too. What he ends up saying corresponds to what a lot of other intellectual heavyweights say too. In other words, just ghosts.

Now that i've said a lot, I need to debate whether to watch Antonio Banderas or sleep. It shall be a tough decision. Take care in whatever you do.

No comments: